Expert for technical regulations - EU SME Centre
Expert for conformity assessment, technical regulations & Standardisation Job Description
The EU SME Centre functions as a Support Service Provider for European SMEs. Specifically, the Centre assists SMEs to establish, develop and maintain commercial activities in the Chinese market – through export and/or investment – by providing support through inter alia the provision of information, matchmaking and networking events and acting as a platform facilitating coordination amongst Member State services and private sector service providers to European SMEs, particularly at the crucial early stages of their market penetration strategy.
The EU SME Centre is operated by a consortium of European Chambers of Commerce, led by the China-Britain Business Council and includes the Benelux, French, Italian Chambers in Beijing, as well as the European Union Chamber of Commerce in China and Eurochambres.
The Centre is now looking for a short time “Expert for conformity assessment, technical regulations & Standardisation” for its office in Beijing that is till July 6 2019.
This technical expert will have a sound knowledge and understanding of conformity assessment issues, technical regulations and standardisation in the context of exports/business development, with possible exposure to the Chinese/Asian environment in this particular area of expertise. He/she will have likely had experience working in a national or European standardisation body.
More specifically the technical expert will:
- Be able to provide EU SMEs information and impartial advice on Chinese technical regulations, conformity assessment and standardisation issues.
- Have the ability to explain to SME non-expert staff members Chinese Standardisation and Conformity Assessment issues relevant to them for exporting to or investing in the Chinese market.
- Carry out and coordinate research with internal and external experts in order to create technical guidelines. At the same time to supervise the quality of business research that is carried out by the Centre.
- Carry out trainings and deliver presentations to EU SMEs and other stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with key stakeholders such as industry associations, chambers of commerce and related Chinese organisations in order to strengthen the EU SME Centre’s knowledge network and to leverage synergies.
- Act as an ambassador of the EU SME Centre, by representing the Centre at business and outreach events, writing media articles, and taking part in the Centre’s social media platforms.
- Support the sales and promotion effort of the EU SME Centre.
Qualifications and skills
- Strong knowledge and experience of China and Europe’s standardisation and conformity assessment schemes and processes.
- Excellent knowledge of China’s import processes including customs inspection processes, labelling requirements.
- Consultancy skills to share knowledge and provide guidance successfully across several sectors and horizontal areas (e.g. legal, regulatory, financial etc.) relevant to SMEs, ability to provide relevant and timely advice and support to SMEs.
- Able to train and to present to EU SMEs and other related organisations.
- Able to write reports in English.
- Chinese language skill is a strong asset.
- Ability to provide exceptional standards of customer relationship management and service levels to SMEs.
- Ability to manage relations with a wide variety of beneficiaries and stakeholders and in particular to work effectively with representatives of SMEs, Chambers of Commerce, external consultants, business associations, the private sector (investors, banks, etc.) and government officials alike.
- Access and ability to maintain strong relationships with Chinese trade inspection and quality infrastructure organisations such as AQSIQ and CIQ.
- Experience liaising and working closely together with other experts from Europe and other countries specialising in the same field and in particular with the Seconded European Standardisation Expert for China (SESEC).
- Project management skills to be able to manage tasks effectively delivering results under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively in a team of international and national experts and to manage international and national short-term consultants in a result-oriented way.
- Preferably 10 years of relevant working experience, minimum of 5 years
- Fluency in English
- Solid understanding of certification schemes for market access in Europe and China
- Solid understanding of the Chinese business environment in the context of standardisation and conformity assessment
- Experience identifying standards and conformity assessment for market access purposes.
- Industrial working experience with China is an advantage, in particular conformity assessment, technical regulations and/or standards-related work.
- Experience in working with European intermediaries, in particular in trade related issues.
- Experience in working or cooperating with European and/or Chinese standardization and certification bodies.
- Experience in working with Chinese intermediaries and/or Chinese administration, in particular in trade related issues.
- Experience in practical international trade, in particular in compliance related issues.
Salary commensurate with experience
Interested candidates are encouraged to send an application including cover letter and CV in English by August 24, 2018 to email@example.com